Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

First of all, I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, full of family, friends, and of course, good food!

I wanted to share a few placecards I designed for a friend's Thanksgiving meal.  I think she had just wanted calligraphy names so that people would know where to sit, but they looked so plain that I had to add a little more! 

I tried to think of the things that reminded me of Thanksgiving...the most obvious were a big turkey and a cornucopia filled with all sorts of autumn foods.  But as I only had a couple of hours to accomplish my placecard task, I had to scale back my big dreams of putting those drawings on each card.  Also, I realized later they barely even fit!  So, I decided to just do two cards with the bigger drawings, as I had some extras.




I then wanted to do smaller drawings for the front of each card.  I had done the calligraphy in four colors of pen, so I wanted to do four kinds of pictures to put on the cards.  It was harder than I thought to think of designs that were Thanksgiving and had detail, but that could be drawn super tiny! So here is what I came up with: acorns and oak leaves, apples and cider, pumpkins, and of course pumpkin pie!  They're done in ink and of course, my favorite Copic brand watercolor markers, because they blend so nicely!


 












 Now that I was inspired to get into the holiday spirit of Thanksgiving with my drawings, I hope that will carry over to Christmas, as I'd love to do some Christmas designs this year.  I guess I better start thinking early...or maybe it's already late, as there are so many Christmas decorations up this time of year!?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment